Friday, October 11, 2013

Performance

So, remember that blog post where I complained about how awful it can feel to fake your way through a musical performance when you're just not hearing the sound right, even if you can tell the audience is enjoying it? Well, Good Old Neil just spoke to me very succinctly about that very subject, via the book of his I mentioned I'm reading. Check this out:

It is a lonely job out there performing. I have to do it because I always have. I probably always will. I love the music part. I like it when the sound is right and the audience is into it and the music is relevant. If one of those elements is missing, you are screwed. You are killing yourself slowly. You need all three elements.

I love that guy.

That's still a very germane subject to me, because I'm playing a show with Psychic Fair tomorrow night for the first time in awhile. And it's in a weird space that's a sort of half-assed art gallery in the back room of an oddball consignment store. (Plan B on Gottingen, if you're in Halifax and able to attend — opening for Scribbler.) Who knows what the sound will be like in there? Well, unfortunately, I have a feeling I do... But anyway, I don't have to sing or anything complicated like that, at least.

That will come a couple of Tuesdays from now, when The Reference Desk plays the Halifax Pop Explosion. Gotta get this cold out of my system before then. That show's at stinky old Gus' Pub, so I'll be plenty familiar with the setup and sound, but still, you always want to be on top of your game for the HPX crowds. There's a real excitement that permeates the whole festival, what with all the out-of-town musicians to check out and hobnob with and whatnot.

Plus, that will be the official on-sale date for our split seven-inch with Beached Out. Kristina put the two tracks that constitute our side of the record on our Bandcamp site today. Take a listen, if you feel so inclined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope the cold gets better. Mine has also dragged on (despite ColdFX) and now Dad has it as well. Good luck and enjoy your performances - wish we could be there. Whatcha doing for Thanksgiving??