Sunday, October 02, 2005

We unwittingly let them bite.

We have bedbugs. Yuck. Alison's been waking up with one or two new bites on her for a couple of weeks now. We've been trying to figure out what the heck is going on, because I never get bitten at all. She insisted it was bedbugs, and I thought maybe she had fleas or something but it always happened overnight so it seemed like she was right, but still, I mean, why have they been biting her and not me? Very mysterious.

Then yesterday morning we finally saw one. They look like a little red spider ("Yeah, red with my blood." - Ali) but with only six legs and they're really boring movement-wise. No giant leaps or flying or anything cool like that. Ali did a bunch of research on the internet and found out they can't survive in water, so I figure if we just wash everything we'll be rid of them, but I guess they're also good at hiding in cracks and things around the bed, like piles of clothes, of which we always have lots. She also found out that it's unjustly common for women to get bitten and not the insensitive men who share a bed with them and say things like, "Maybe they'll just go away."

So this morning we went to the laundromat and washed everything. Had a real nice brunch there too, except that this woman sitting behind us had a CRAZY voice which was freaking us out a little:

-- There was a sound file of her here, which I've since removed. It was kind of mean, but pretty funny. She was saying: --

"And we went very slow. Mack hurt his leg so we were walking very, very slowly."

Then Alison went apepoop vacuuming and dusting and spraying while I went into work to get yet another last minute project done. I hope that'll be the last of those for awhile. I came home to an unrecognizably clean bedroom which is so full of toxic bug spray now that we have to sleep in the living room tonight.

- Andrew

P.S. Me and You and Everyone We Know is a veeery veeeery worthwhile film, if you get a chance to see it. Incredibly dirty, but also very sweet at the same time. Similar in that way to The 40 Year Old Virgin, which is also worthwhile in that it's one of the funniest movies ever. Alison guesses that must be the new aesthetic -- shocking empathy. Nabokov would be proud.

))<>((

1 comment:

EJ said...

There are so many things to comment on that I don't know where to begin. I'm horrified that you have bedbugs, and hope you got rid of them. Poor Ali! I used to sleep over a lot at a friend's who had 9 cats and 3 dogs. I always got bitten by flees, while nobody else in the house did. The audio is hilarious. I just want to keep listening to it over and over. I also saw The 40 Year Old Virgin and thought it was so funny - partly probably because I expected nothing from it.

Eri.