Friday, October 28, 2005

Plans, Pipe Dreams, and Just Plain Irresponsible Brain Cell Use

As you may or may not know, Hallowe'en is the anniversary of Alison's and my first meeting, which was at a costume party in Montreal 11 years ago. I was Gilligan, and I lucked into a perfect cross between Mary-Anne and Ginger, with absolutely no Mrs. Howell. So to celebrate that blessed event we're going to Wolfville this weekend and staying in the same inn we stayed in last year at this time. I've been working like crazy with next to no free time so I'm really looking forward to it. Ali's actually going to be helping to shoot a wedding in Wolfville most of Saturday, which is how the whole thing got planned, but that's fine with me. It'll give me plenty of time to catch up on my Sudokus and maybe pass the halfway point in Swann's Way. And as Alison points out, there'll be no computers or telephones around.

OK, so did anyone else watch The Apprentice last night? What th' aitch? How could he just go and fire four people at once? Doesn't that mean the show will be three episodes short now? And what's with "step up"? When did everyone start saying that? We've added it to the drinking game for a more rollicking time. "At the end of the day, Jennifer M. just really needs to step up to the plate." Sheesh!

By the way, we finally made it into the practice space on Monday, and it was pretty fun. The Microkorg is our unimaginative if temporary drummer for now. I'm working on some jammable basslines to teach Ali for next time, but eventually I really want to try putting together some kind of long, slowly evolving, repetitious and modal keyboard piece in the style of Philip Glass's "Music in Twelve Parts". I'd like to out-serialize Stereolab. Might be kind of hard to do effectively with only two people playing at once, though. We'll see.

I've added another magazine website to our links: Make Magazine. I heard about it on CKDU because they were giving away a subscription to it as a prize during their funding drive. It's pretty cool, in a very extended sense of the word. Scrappy projects for bohemian techno-geeks. Definitely worth checking out.

And that's how I've been wasting my time lately. How about you?

- Andrew

3 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

About the Apprentice...I almost phoned you as soon as he fired them, but realized it would be pretty late with the time difference...I figure he was in a pretty big hurry for that benefit he was on his way to!
Congrats on your anniversary too, have a great time! Love, Dana

Andrew said...

Ha ha! I hadn't thought of that interpretation. Makes sense, though.

- Andrew

EJ said...

Hope you guys had a nice time in Wolfville. Are you doing anything for Halloween? Shelling out loot?