Thursday, October 13, 2005

How Invention Can Improve Modern Living

Maybe I neglected to mention this, but Our Igloo is still in hibernation. We keep meaning to have a jam session, and then some stupid thing or other comes up and we very quickly cancel our plans. So I've been going through this creatively kind of dry and therefore emotionally kind of out-bumming period, getting less and less willing to pick up an instrument for fear of what might or might not come out.

Then last night the boys and I finally got together to practice. The boys being the two guys with whom I've sometimes been working out some as yet undefined tunage. There was a fourth person playing bass, but I guess she dropped out, so last night it was just the three of us. Nobody seemed too excited to start plugging away again at the barely worked out stuff we'd been working on a few weeks ago, so I picked up the bass and we just started jamming. Boy was it ever fun. We were coming up with some pretty great "songs" too. It felt so good to just start making something up on the spot and then respond to it -- just what I needed. I came home in such a good mood I didn't even care that I'd missed the Martha Stewart Apprentice, and then it turned out to be on an hour later so I hadn't even missed it!

The other uplifting piece of recent news is that I got this great little nose and ear hair trimmer for like fifteen bucks the other day. You probably are not that interested to know this, but I have this crazy fishing line hair that grows out of my ears. Looks insane and hurts like hell to yank out. And don't even get me started on my shameful history of nostril pelage. So this little guy is just the tool I've been looking for. Works great. The only thing is, the instructions are not very helpful: "To trim nose hair, gently apply to nostril. Use same procedure for ear and eyebrow hair." Um, I don't really think that's going to work.

- Andrew

2 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

I bought one of those for Jason last year for Christmas and finally got up the nerve to stick it up my nose this summer. It still freaks me out, but I've got big nostrils so you can see a lot in there! (not so anonymous)

EJ said...

Mike and I stayed at a hotel once and found one of those things under the bed. Maybe the person before us got too frustrated trying to figure out how it worked so they just ditched it.