Monday, April 04, 2011

Gulp.

This Sunday I'm playing a short solo set as part of a benefit for victims of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. My friend Meg has put it together. It'll be an afternoon-and-early-evening, low key kind of thing at Lost & Found, a cool second-hand clothing store on Agricola Street. Acoustic style indie folk, I guess.

So, it's for a good cause, and I'm glad to do it, but I'm also REALLY nervous about it, because:
a) I never play solo;
b) I'm kind of shy;
c) I kind of suck at playing guitar; and
d) some of these vocal parts I've written are at the very top end of my range.

The store is quite small, so the show is going to be unamplified. I hope that doesn't mean I'll have to belt it out to be heard, or we could all be in big trouble. Why do I sing so high when I'm writing songs, anyway? Ai yi yi!

I'll be curling in the final game of the season, for the championship trophy, right before heading over to play the show. Either the curling will help relax me by taking my mind off my performance, or thinking about my performance will screw up my curling and cost my team the trophy. I guess we'll see which.

2 comments:

EJ said...

Good luck on both the curling and the show And. Good for you! Wish we could be there to cheer you on.

Anonymous said...

You'll be fine, And. Practise in the shower. It makes your voice sound great!