Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction

I know I've recommended this website numerous times, but you just have to check out the latest post on Bibliodyssey. It's a bunch of beautiful old illustrations of various sea anemones and related critters. The colours are comely and the critters creepy. Reminds me of some of Jim Woodring's rococo flora and/or fauna.



Last night I checked out the new Duncan Jones movie, Source Code. Jones is the son of David Bowie, and the same guy who directed last year's Moon. I really liked that movie, and this was another philosophical sci-fi offering, so I figured there was a good chance I'd like it. And I did, but it felt a little too much like a rehash of the same kind of story as in Moon to really be great. Again we have a guy awakening in the midst of a mission whose purpose and ultimate end he doesn't really understand, experiencing the problems of multiple identities/realities.

This story's less sad, but could just as easily have turned out as badly as the first one did. The premise this time is also a little bit silly and inadequately explained to be taken seriously. One interesting subtheme: Jake Gyllenhaal plays a soldier who keeps trying in vain to contact his dad from an unreachable reality, and I couldn't help but think of the director's own dad in his "Major Tom" persona, "floating 'round [his] tin can, far above the world."

One very nice part of the moviegoing experience was that they played the trailer for Terrence Malick's newest film, Tree of Life. Only six years since his last film, and this one looks to be beautiful, meditative, and poetic, as usual. Can't wait for it to come out!

No comments: