Sunday, September 18, 2005

Mellow Mood

This is how I feel today.

---- 10/10 Had to delete it from Castpost to make room. It was "Yekerme Sew". ----

It's a pretty nice warm day, although overcast, but at least it's not raining anymore. The leaves on the tree outside our window have pretty much all turned an orange-gold colour. It seems to be the first tree in Halifax to go. I don't mind; it looks really nice.

We're about to go up to the Common to play the last two softball games of the season. Next weekend the playoffs happen. Just like in life and video games, you play until you lose. Actually, one team never loses and they are declared the season champions. I predict it won't be us. But it's always lots of fun.


I played a three hour game of chess with my friend Steve yesterday while the "hurricane" "raged" outside. I don't really know why it took so long and it got pretty tedious after awhile. It went pretty much how I think my current game with my Dad is gonna go: I keep making stupid mistakes but manage to hold on somehow so that it takes a ridiculous amount of time for me to lose and everyone is bored and annoyed by the end. Have to learn to lose faster.

The alleged hurricane was really just an average rainfall, though everyone acted as if we were about to witness Armageddon. We coincidentally had to buy groceries the night before, and there was almost nothing left in the store. Every single variety of mushrooms had been wiped out. Mushrooms!! Since when are they emergency stock? It seems to me that if the power goes out and everything is wet, they would be one of the crops you wouldn't need to worry about.

This music, by the way, is from the sixties by an Ethiopian guy named Mulatu Astaqe. He was heavily influenced by western jazz. I hope you like it. If you do, I strongly recommend you see the recent Jim Jarmusch/Bill Murray film Broken Flowers, in which it's heavily featured.

Off to the ball game.

- Andrew

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rats! I just typed in a long comment and it disappeared! Too bad about the ball game. I liked Mellow Mood but don't think I'll see the movie you suggested. Sometimes your movies are kinda weird. You're right about the mushrooms. We had a bunch of rain the other day and today Dad picked a whole bucket of mushrooms from the backyard ( not to eat but to put in the compost). Too bad we don't know more about mushrooms. We're making a yummy dinner tonight from the Paul Prudhomme cookbook.
Mum

Anonymous said...

Pretty hard to get bored with the game if you don't make a move!

DoD

Andrew said...

Har har. Hmmm... maybe that explains how our game took three hours.