Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ketchup

Hey. Long time no blog. How's it going? Here too.

I guess we've been pretty busy, as usual. Mostly it's been the fun kind of busy, though. Last weekend we went bowling with Meg and her sister, Litsko. It was really a blast. I had been bragging about what a great bowler I am and the first four balls I bowled all went in the gutter. I gradually worked my way back up to my own standards, though. The beer may have helped. We had to wait a long time to get a lane, so there was a bit of an intersibling air hockey tournament. And I don't know why we're squishing poor Meg's head in the last photo here. She didn't even win.





We also went to a dance party the same night, in the space that is soon to become the store of our friends Sherry and Jay. That was a lot of fun, at least until Joe the de facto DJ blew out one of the speakers and started playing the same terrible tracks over and over again and wouldn't let anyone else on the stereo. We left pretty soon after that, but I guess people were there until around 5:30 or 6. Sheesh!

This week at work has been super hectic, but at least Meg's back. However, someone was also fired so it's pretty much as busy as when she was on vacation. These random firings seem to always happen right after we've hired someone new, and for some reason always just as Meg gets back from vacation. Weird, spooky, and very very sad.

Speaking of vacation, Ali and I are trying to plan one for around the end of April. We want to go to some kind of all-inclusive resort in a warm place for a week, figuring it'll be cheaper at that time of year. Anyone got any suggestions of where to go? (Please don't say Mexico.) I'm thinking Cuba would be pretty cool...

I am, by the way, definitely going to be playing with Rich at the Junos. So everybody set your VCR's to record on Sunday, April 2nd at 8:00 pm Atlantic Time (7:00 Eastern). Don't forget to put a tape in! Or that the VCR has to be turned off. That's the one that always gets me. Also, I think that's the day we start Daylight Savings, so don't even ask me to figure that out.

I've hardly had any time for reading lately, but when I have it's been spent on The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay by Michael Chabon. You may remember that I was saving that one like a compulsive weirdo until I'd finished some other, less immediately gratifying works, but I finally gave in about a month ago. It's incredibly rich and funny and emotionally compelling and just a really really great read. Two adolescent cousins in the thirties, one a recent American immigrant from Czechoslovakia, and the other a fatherless latent homosexual, invent a superhero called The Escapist, modelled on Houdini, and start a comic book early in the history of the form. Meanwhile, the Second World War looms. That's the plot, anyway, but the reason to read the book is the writing, which is warm and generous, witty and unassuming. In summary, me like.

That's 'er fer now. Going to scarf down some pizza and watch an episode of The Larry Sanders Show before working on some freelance design. Take care, cheerio, etc.

- Andrew

4 comments:

EJ said...

Wow, a trip to somewhere hot. Sounds nice. You guys deserve a vacation just a two of you. I have no recommendations, but I'm sure you'll have fun wherever you go.

St. Louis Family said...

A vacation! You will have a great time - Cuba is great and the people are beautiful too. It's a bit like travelling back in time with all the old cars and such - Jason

Anonymous said...

Everyone's focussed on your vacation. Good idea. I think you'd love Cuba Andrew. Dad and I have been to Varadero. If you want some information or want us to check on rates, let us know. I might be able to get you a deal.
Marilen and I are going to Punta Cana on March 21 for a week to an all inclusive. We were going to go to the Mayan Riviera. In fact, if we could have gotten that very property at a good rate, I was in!
Right now I will go nowhere near Mexico!
Anyway, Cuba would be a great choice for you guys so let me know when and what you're looking for and I'll give you some ideas.

Talk with you soon.

Mum

Anonymous said...

sorry for my late comment.. lits and i really enjoyed hanging out with you in feb. since my defeat to everyone at the alley, i've been in a intense training to recover my honour. watch out for meg next time!!!!! :)