Saturday, December 10, 2005

A Nice Winter Day




It snowed last night and today was really sunny, which made for some nice walking around, even though the purpose of the walking around was Christmas shopping. I managed not to be a total crank. Well, not all of the time, anyway. In fact, I'm actually starting to get a little bit into the seasonal spirit, I have to admit. I think the only way out of being angered and depressed by all the bad taste and downright ugliness which Christmas seems to bring out in most of the western world is to dive headfirst into the festivities on your own terms. There's been enough holiday iconography and signifiers collected up over the years that there's bound to be something out there to induce the warm fuzzies, whatever subcultural camp one finds oneself barricaded in. For instance, we've been listening to Duke Ellington's version of The Nutcracker Suite tonight, and tomorrow we'll catch a matinee showing of It's a Wonderful Life before picking up a small tree to be sparely and tastefully decorated. Sure, the merchants would love for me to feel depressed and therefore guilty over my lack of Christmas spirit so that I'll spend more money at this most important time of year for them, and maybe it's just the sunshine talking, but I say screw 'em.

- Andrew

No comments: