Friday, December 09, 2005

Loo loo loooooo...

OK, so I'm sorry I haven't been blogging very much lately. Things are pretty hectic and I always seem to be tired when I have free time and I guess the whole Christmas thing has been kind of bumming me out so I never really feel like I have anything worth telling anyone. We watched the Charlie Brown Christmas special the other night and it was devastating as usual. Alison cried and I got a huge lump in my throat. I remember getting that lump from it one year when I was a little kid, and I didn't even know what it was -- I thought it meant I was getting sick. They really suck you in by making the first half all jokes from the comic strip and you think, "Oh, this is not so bad. I think I can take it this year," and then they begin quickly ramping up the pathos, starting when Charlie Brown goes out with Linus to find a tree. Even the light in the sky when they go outside is enough to make you realize, "Uh oh. What have I gotten myself in for?" By "you" I mean me.

Charlie Brown's and, particularly, Linus's voices are so perfect in that show. I don't know where they found those kids. So soft-spoken and understated. Especially in that Luke reading -- he really brings out the poetry in that passage like almost no one else could by completely underdramatizing it. I wonder what kind of adults those two grew up into.

If you haven't started bawling by that point, the "MERRY CHRISTMAS CHARLIE BROWN!" will of course get you every time. And if it doesn't you might as well pull the other foot into that coffin, 'cause you're beyond help. By "you" I mean you.

I'm making an e-Christmas card to send out to people. Maybe that'll help me get more into the spirit than the seasonal red and green sprinkles on the donuts served by Santa-hatted Tim Horton's ladies seem to. If not, I'll have to go out and find a play in need of a director.

- Andrew

2 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

You are so right about that Charlie Brown Christmas...every year I think, "I can make it through it this year." Same with It's a Wonderful Life though...a blubbering mess I tell ya! Dana

Andrew said...

Blubbering mess...that was me yesterday at the movie theatre. And I forgot to bring tissues!

-Ali