Monday, May 21, 2012

Good Day


I'm at my parents' place in Markham, Ontario, right now, ostensibly for my mom's 65th birthday, but also escaping the stresses of my life in Halifax for a short recharge. Yesterday I biked over to Stouffville to see my sister Erika's family and their new house.

It was such a nice day and a beautiful ride. A flat, straight road under a giant, cloudless sky. Lots of lush marsh- and farmland between the two towns, once you get past the latest ugly developments, which extend a bit farther north every year. But there were birds greeting me the whole way, and then I saw a small airplane pulling a glider ahead of me.

The two went back and forth a few times, and I wondered whether the glider would eventually be let go to continue on its own. Eventually I noticed the motored plane over to my left, and couldn't make out the glider with it. I searched the sky ahead, left, right, and behind, but couldn't find it. I'd just convinced myself that the other plane WAS the glider, when a large shadow passed over me from behind, making the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

I looked straight up, and there it was, silently coasting right over my head. It was so slow and beautiful and free. I pulled over to the side of the road and got off my bike to watch it. The sun was also directly above, so I had to shade my eyes quite a bit to see it, but it circled around me four or five times before heading off in the direction I'd seen the other plane in. I couldn't tell whether the people in the glider were actually communicating with me or not, or even whether they could see me, but I waved to them. It was kind of a mystical experience. I felt happier than I have in a long time, and in a way that I haven't since I was a kid.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Wow, yeah, there is definitely a connection between your plane/glider experience and my kite photo. I was at the beach on Monday and saw this unusual kite so high in the sky I had to capture the moment as it ventured toward the sun. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely.
CA