Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Like/Not Like?



Desperately trying to catch up with the culture I live in and failing miserably, I've been listening to this tUnE-yArDs (Do we have to write it that way? So silly.) song for a few days, trying to decide how I feel about it. I think I've decided I really like it. Reminds me of that mid- to late-eighties minimalist and afro-inspired American avant garde pop, like Laurie Anderson, Talking Heads, and Philip Glass. Peter Gabriel a bit, too. Maybe because all those people shamelessly ripped off Steve Reich, just as this does. But what the hell, I like it all anyway. It's not like Reich INVENTED polyrhythms or anything. Jeez...

Merrill Garbus' voice, on the other hand, is definitely a deal maker or breaker, as all great voices are. But I'm on board and quickly being carried out to sea.

You?

1 comment:

Haritha said...

beautiful blog!