Monday, August 15, 2011

Cooped

Summer's slowly winding down, I guess. How's everyone's been going? I'm finally feeling like I don't have a cold anymore, two weeks later. What a weird summer. Finally got in the ocean for the first time on Saturday, although it was at Blomidon in the Minas Basin, so there were no waves. Plenty of mud, though. I really need to get out more. Cabin fever is supposed to be a winter phenomenon, right?

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Miranda July, the director of Me and You and Everyone We Know. Her stories are just as weird and genuine and internally consistent in surprising ways as that movie was — really great stuff that takes an unexpected twist every couple of sentences or so. And all the characters are sooooo damaged and so sympathetic. Makes me feel like sitting down and just starting to write, but also like just giving up entirely, because it could never be that good.

I finished The Pale King awhile back. Did I already tell you that? I'd been wondering in what sense it was an unfinished novel as I read it, since it all seemed to cohere and there weren't any mistakes or gaping holes I could see. But towards the end I got a sinking feeling as I realized that the story had barely started and there were only a few pages left to go. So I imagine it was meant to continue for at least as long again as what we get in this posthumous version (548 pp.). Maybe even longer. It is still really great, though. Just makes you wonder what DFW would've come up with if he hadn't surrendered to the darkness.

That's it for now, I guess. I'll report back when there's more actual life to fill you in on.

3 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

That is a really low sounding post. Hope you're feeling ok. I've kinda got summer blues too which usually only happen to me in winter but to be honest I think I just need to exercise more. Been having a great summer and visiting lots of old friends, just sitting around while doing it! Summer's not almost over...2 and a half full weeks before school starts!

Andrew said...

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the fall, but I suppose I have been somewhat blue. You know what would totally cheer me up, that I just thought of today? If you would finally tell me what "Tony want W" means, after all these years. You and your adolescent friends used to crack up over that phrase in the mid-80's, and I always wanted to know what the significance of it was. But you would always say it was too embarrassing. I know it has something to do with General Hospital...

St. Louis Family said...

Ha-ha!! I do remember Tony on General Hospital kind of turned into someone developmentally delayed (I'm trying to use politically correct terms here, but I don't think you can "turn into" someone developmentally delayed but anything can happen on a soap opera). So he talked slowly and without all the words in his sentences...unfortunately, I forget the relevence of the "W". Sorry :(