Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bike Brake Broke

My rear brake cable snapped on the weekend, so I had to take my bicycle into a shop to get it fixed. I asked them to give her a tuneup while they were at it, as it's been a few years since I've done any real adjusting of anything. I've had the bike for probably 14 years now, and it still runs pretty great. But I used to give it a yearly cleaning and tuneup every spring, and in the past few years I've let it slide.

Anyway, they kept it overnight and gave me a call to come and pick it up this morning. It's really unbelievable how much better it feels to ride. New brake cable and shoes, both brakes were tightened, the rear derailleur got a new cable and the gears have all been adjusted, the crank's been tightened, and the chain and gears are all clean and oiled. It's like I got a whole new bike for 45 bucks! Fast, cheap, and good — the supposedly impossible combination. Friendly, too! Bikes by Dave on Young Street, if you're interested.

Now to go for a nice long ride...

No comments: