Monday, April 06, 2009

Larkin x 2

Been rereading a bunch of Philip Larkin lately, in observance of National Poetry Month. Here's a poem of his that expresses the same idea mine was trying to, only much better.

Strangers

The eyes of strangers
Are cold as snowdrops,
Downcast, folded,
And seldom visited.

And strangers' acts
Cry but vaguely, drift
Across our attention's
Smoke-sieged afternoons.

And to live there, among strangers,
Calls for teashop behaviours:
Setting down the cup,
Leaving the right tip,

Keeping the soul unjostled,
The pocket unpicked,
The fancies lurid,
And the treasure buried.


And here's one about what my right-hand column playlist is about. This one kills me.

The Spirit Wooed

Once I believed in you,
And then you came,
Unquestionably new, as fame
Had said you were. But that was long ago.

You launched no argument,
Yet I obeyed,
Straightaway, the instrument you played
Distant down sidestreets, keeping different time,

And never questioned what
You fascinate
In me; if good or not, the state
You pressed towards. There was no need to know.

Grave pristine absolutes
Walked in my mind:
So that I was not mute, or blind,
As years before or since. My only crime

Was holding you too dear.
Was that the cause
You daily came less near — a pause
Longer than life, if you decide it so?


- Andrew

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm glad you guys are reading poetry this month too! I've been reading a bunch and have been surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

Here's a link to a really cool one I read. (I found it in the McSweeney's issue that has the poetry chains.

http://www.theminnesotareview.org/journal/ns61/tate.htm

olafhong said...

I didn't realize it was the month in recognition of. Some poems by one of my favourite poets: http://www.poemhunter.com/james-wright/. I particularly like Autumn Begins... and Jenny likes A Blessing.

And I must recommend Tom Thomson in Purgatory by Troy Jollimore.
http://bookcriticscircle.blogspot.com/2007/03/who-hell-is-troy-jollimore.html

Hope you're well in Wolfville.

Andrew said...

Those are all great! Thank, guys.

I have a problem with some prose poetry, I have to say, Kristina. I feel like poetry is all about balancing meaning with sounds and rhythm, like it should cry out to have music set to it or even make you want to dance. And that Tate stuff just ignores that balance. I'm not even sure whether the lines have to end where they do in this transcription, or whether it's basically just a paragraph that can be broken arbitrarily. I guess I'm saying I feel weird about calling it poetry.

But if I can call it a really short story, I love it! And I checked out some other stuff of his and loved that too.

Olaf, James Wright's a total gem. Those sons galloping against each other are both hilarious and tragic. And what's with that Jollimore guy pretending Tom Thomson is a fictional character of his invention? Weirdo! Ha ha.

Seriously, thanks for all the recommendations.

- Andrew