Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Identifying with the Pain Body

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I'm just now realizing I've been somewhat depressed. No real good reason for it, but then it wouldn't really be depression if there were, would it? We've got this exciting new life in a really cool house, but mostly I don't feel like doing anything to enhance it when I get home from work, and can't seem to make myself get up early in the morning to do the things I need to do to stay mentally fit.

I've been blaming the cold weather and dark mornings, but I don't think it's just that. I miss my friends. I'm creatively uninspired, and have no musical projects I'm working on. I think about the absurdity of life a lot, and worry about all the people I know. I'm nostalgic for times when I wasn't even happy.

This weekend at the softball playoffs I found out that my friend Tim is moving back to Toronto tomorrow. It's a good move for him, 'cause he has a loving family back there and things aren't working out as rosy in Halifax as he'd thought they would. But it still totally bummed me out. At the end-of-the-season party I decided it would be a good idea to get drunk, since everyone else was already plastered when I got there. It IS weird being the only sober person in a roomful of people you love, but still that would normally not convince me to partake, because I know how badly alcohol affects me. Well, so of course it did, and I acted like an idiot, and got REALLY depressed for the next couple of days...

But in the end, that was actually a good thing, because it made me realize there was a problem. I started rereading Eckhart Tolle's Practicing The Power of Now yesterday, and it's really helping me a lot. I still feel sad, but now I can actually feel myself feeling sad. My friend Meg also burned me a CD of him reading an earlier book, so I'll probably listen to that too. Now I'm listening to some Roberta Flack, whom I've never actually checked out before but there was one of her records among the vinyl being given away for free outside the Wolfville head shop a couple of weeks ago and I picked it up and it's really great and exactly what I seem to need. It is a sad and beautiful world.

Anyway, there's plenty of happy stuff to tell about too. We've found a weekly yoga class here that seems like the kind we like: slow and aware, with lots of variations and reminders about breathing and attitude. I was going to go tonight, but didn't feel like it without Ali, who's in Halifax. I've actually only seen her for an hour in the past four days!

Oh yeah, happy stuff. Alison did a couple of full days of paid shooting last week for Acadia, on my recommendation, and I got to direct her. It was a lot of work, but nice to work together and everyone's pleased with the results. My parents are coming for a visit this weekend, for Thanksgiving. I hope they feel like doing some walking, because I'd really like to try hiking at Blomidon. There's also some local winery/vineyard tour stuff going on that I bet they'll be into.

And Super Speller, Canada's national spelling competition, is filming its semifinals and finals here this week. I went to the first day of taping yesterday, and it was quite exciting. Or, at least, it would have been if the excitement hadn't always been put on hold while they fixed technical problems. But the twelve phonically gifted kids are adorable and impressive. In a sense, they're all winners. Unfortunately, in another, more accurate sense, only one of them will be. My money's on Katie.

And also, Meg turned me onto this great and totally stupid show that really makes me laugh even though I know it is wrong. And Alison and I have (separately) been watching Californication, David Duchovny's recent (very adult) Showtime show, on DVD, which also makes me laugh misguidedly.

So don't worry, things are looking up, but I just wanted to let you know what's going on, because people don't generally talk about it when they're feeling down and then other people are like, hey what's wrong with that guy, why doesn't he ever call me or want to hang out, I guess he must not like me anymore, and that of course just makes things worse. And also, who knows — maybe someone can even relate.

- Andrew

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love walking so we'll hope for some really great weather so we can get out and enjoy nature. Really looking forward to the weekend. We leave in two days!!!

Love, Mum

Alison said...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to you guys visiting! It's so beautiful here right now and I know the fresh air and exercise will make us all feel great. :-)

Speedbag said...

Andrew! Buck up cowboy! We miss you here at C+C, well I know I do! Hope to see yah sometime during the Pop Explosion! Also, if yah want another great show to make you laugh check out "The Mighty Boosh". I promise you'll love it!

EJ said...

Change is hard. Even when it seems like a good thing, and IS a good thing, it's still hard to go through. I'm a creature of habit too, and really admire your courage making such a big move.

And I CAN relate. Poppa's death hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. Yes he lived a long, wonderful life and died under the best possible circumstances that he could have, but I still feel like there is such a void in the world now. The balance of good versus evil, right vs wrong, integrity vs corruption has taken a hit, and those who did not know Poppa do not even realize it. It makes me sad.

Thanks for your honesty.

Hope you have a wonderful visit with Mom and Dad. Oh, and thanks for Charlotte's books. They just arrived the other day. She really loves the giraffe card. She walks around with it everywhere. Ben loves the book Everybody Poops.

Andrew said...

Thanks, you guys. You're awesome. I've seen The Mighty Boosh and wasn't so keen, but I'll try it out again, since so many people I totally respect love it.

Erika, Papa definitely has something to do with it, but I think it's mostly just not having friends around all the time, combined with Alison hardly being here sometimes. I definitely feel a lot saner and inspired when she's around.

- Andrew

Stacy Stevens said...

Andrew, it's been awhile but tonight I thought I'd catch up on your blog writings. As I've been preoccupied with a little wedding planning the last 6 months.

I aways enjoy your take on life and it makes me feel a little closer to home to here about the goings on of Halifax.

I just want to say thanks for your honesty, I have totally been where you are more often than I'd care to think about. As I'm in pretty good plae mentally right now, jsut have to work on the physical.

Hell I think I was depressed planning what turned out to be the best day of my life so far, and I'm so glad you and Alison were there to share it with me, 'cause I totally love and respect you guys!

Sometimes I feel totally alone here in the big city, it helps to know that friends back home are going through the same things sometimes, and it's an inspiration and motivational to know that when you/they are being creative that I can and should be as well.

See you guys next year I hope!

Andrew said...

Thanks, Stacy. Being part of your beautiful and love-filled wedding celebrations actually made me feel quite a bit better, and it was great to hang out with you guys a couple of days later too. Maybe see you at Christmas.

- Andrew