Friday, October 10, 2008

Katie Won

... as predicted. She and Preetha went head to head for eighteen rounds in the regular spelling round, but Preetha finally buckled under the weight of "bourgeois". She clearly did not know the word. A few words before that she got temporarily stumped by another French word, "dossier," with which she also seemed unfamiliar, but managed to figure it out. Meanwhile, Katie aced both "fricassee" and "sassafras," both of which I would have gotten wrong. It was real exciting.

Then Alison and I got to go to the wrap banquet afterward, and sit with the president of Acadia University and his wife. Giant cheques and bags of Japanese electronics were given to the kids, who then played hide and seek and swung each other around ecstatically.

I'm hoping we'll have time to get to the Wolfville farmers' market tomorrow morning before my parents get here, but there's also a certain amount of cleaning up that needs to get done. We'll see I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends. And if I have any American friends, happy Columbus Day, you crazy messed up maniacs. If you vote for McCain I will start building a home deep underground that will make CERN look like the Empire State Building, and into which you will no longer be welcome. Not even if you are bearing iPhones and Twinkies.

Anyway, sorry. Everyone have a nice long weekend.

- Andrew

No comments: