Sunday, January 15, 2006

Haven't been able to get the song up yet. Try and guess what it is.

Here's my favourite song right now. I'd completely forgotten about it, but it popped up in this Australian movie we watched called He Died with a Felafel (sic) in His Hand. Noah Taylor was in it, whom we both love, and it was pretty darn good. I put the song on our mp3 player, which I've got narrowed down to an elite selection of 53 perfect songs. I've actually started walking around with it on, even though I'm in principle against all this deliberate insularity going on these crazy hypermodern days, and I have to admit it makes everything pretty enjoyable.

Listening to the song now, I just love the rapturous melancholy of it. Wouldn't it fit right in on a Wes Anderson soundtrack? I've got to get that harpsichord up and running so I can make beautiful music like this, but I never seem to have time.

Work has gotten so busy these days that I had to go in for six hours today to finish off the ugliest, most jam-packed newspaper ad ever, and some stills for a related television spot. Plus there's a meeting at 8 in the morning, so this will be a short post. Oh yeah, and I have my first review tomorrow, so I may be getting a raise. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Our yoga teacher, Michi, is back from her Christmas vacation in Japan and we had a class with her on Saturday. It felt so great and put me in a really nice mood for the rest of the day, even though I felt like I was getting a cold. She brought me and Alison each a 5 yen piece. She's so nice. We start another, longer weekly class with her in the North end on Tuesday. Should be good.

The above-mentioned cold, by the way, I seem to be fighting off with plain old ginseng. I know that's what Cold F/X is extracted from, and that always works for me, so I thought I'd try just ginseng this time, since we always have it on hand. I'm happy to report that the experiment seems to be a success so far -- the cold is definitely retreating in shame. Of course, any decently-designed experiment should be a success, since as long as the hypothesis being tested is either confirmed or disproven it has done its job. But let's not be pedantic.

People keep asking me and Alison when we're going to play again next. It's kind of weird and awkward, because I'm not sure Ali really wants to do that anymore, so it's something we have to work out between ourselves. We usually get all sheepish and don't really know what to say. I wish people wouldn't ask, though I understand and am flattered by the motivation. Maybe if they could just ask one of us at a time it'd be OK... It's kind of like asking a couple when they're going to have a baby.

Also, for some reason, people are lately pointing out that I could stand to gain a bit of weight. I finally just took off the ten pounds I gained over Christmas, for Jimmy's sake! Do they think I'm completely unaware of what kind of shape I'm in or something? It's weird how people you don't even know that well have no qualms about giving you health advice. I've decided to start offering snap psychological assessments in response. "I don't really find passive aggression a more acceptable outlet for anger over lack of parental approval than the eraser full of thumb tacks you think you're hiding in your desk drawer, but that's just me."

That's a pretty sour note to end on, but I've got nothing else to tell, really. Sorry. Oh, I know, we've been watching the second series of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Remember that British comedy from the seventies? It's kind of weird. The guy's more of a jerk and less funny than I remembered, but it's still quite entertaining.

OK, that's better. Later.

- Andrew

No comments: