Saturday, November 19, 2005

It's the most crotchety time of the year.

We were supposed to go over to our friends Charles and Kelly's place tonight to hang out, play with their kids, and eat some cheese. I've been looking forward to it all week as I never seem to see them or really anyone else anymore these days unless it's for some specific purpose, like someone needs a Mr. Bean lookalike for a practical joke or something. Plus I really like cheese. Yum.

But this incredibly stupid Christmas parade happened this evening that I only half remembered about and it prevented our bus and hence us from travelling to the north end. Over an hour we waited in the freezing cold, which is actually less time than a lot of the parade-goers, who started showing up along the route at 4:30 for a 6:00 parade with their blankets and folding chairs and understandably crying kids. The whole thing was just a bunch of local stores and businesses renting trucks to cheaply and crappily advertise their existence. I really don't get the appeal.

And because the whole downtown was completely messed up traffic-wise, we couldn't get a cab either, unless we were willing to wait at least another hour. So no Charles, no cheese. Don't people realize there are plenty of commercials they can watch on TV? The best scene of the night was a woman yelling at her little boy, who was complaining that his uncovered hands were cold, "All right, fine, you can have my mittens!"

Anyway, sorry this blog is becoming such a crankfest lately. I'll write something cheery next time, I swear.

- Old Man Grumpus

4 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

What a rotten story! What's with the photo at the beginning...no explanation so I'll assume it's Charles who you were going to visit. Hope the rest of your weekend was ok. Your blog just reminded me that the Toronto Santa Claus parade was today...I think I'll let the kids watch it while they have their dinner. Equally commercial parade but with a lot of money behind it so cooler floats. - Dana

Anonymous said...

That picture looks like Holland. We were just there and brought back an amazing cheese. We later found out you're not supposed to bring back dairy products to Canada so I had to bury it in my checked luggage! Can't wait to try it.

Mum

St. Louis Family said...

OOOHHHHH, he's eating cheese! I thought it was a life preserver...don't ask. Dana

Andrew said...

Yeah, cheese! He looks like Blaine Mullins, too. Weird.

- Andrew