Saturday, February 23, 2013

Charlotte Glencross: The Fabric of Her Life

I'm in Fredericton this weekend, checking out a retrospective of my late aunt Chooch's textile art with some of my family. The show is way more thorough and generally fabulous than I'd anticipated. Lots of batiks and weavings I had either forgotten about or never seen before. There's a beautifully designed catalogue that fits all the pieces into a comprehensive narrative of her life. And there's even a corner in which they've set up a mock studio, including her loom, books, and lots of fabric bits and notebooks from her working process, kind of like the Maud Lewis house. It's all really impressive and evocative.

Here are some photos my sister Erika took.

This is one of my favourites from the early 70s. I'd seen it at that time, but somehow it escaped my memory until I saw it again yesterday.

The studio installation.

M. Hulot was particularly interested in this one large batik.

No comments: