Saturday, June 04, 2011

Record Fair!

Today there was a big record fair at the Forum. Lots of music nerds with huge collections of vinyl sold their wares to lots of other music nerds with huge collections of vinyl. Very nice music nerds, on both sides of the bins. It was a lot of fun, and of course we spent too much money. But I managed to get, among everything else, these two really fantastic records that are pretty hard to find, at least around here. The Coltrane one I've actually been looking for for over 20 years now, since the first time I heard it on New Year's Eve day, 1989, and it completely blew my mind. Crazy and cerebral and spiritual in the purest sense of the word. Alice Coltrane plays harp all over it and conducts a string orchestra. Also featuring Pharoah Sanders, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, Charlie Haden, and Elvin Jones. I know, right? Why is this stuff so hard to come by? Below is a sample — one of the four long tracks that comprise the album.


1 comment:

Pen & Rix Place said...

Glad to hear you had such a great day. I can relate to the find when I come across an old book I have been looking for for years. How did your concert go on Friday?