Monday, June 06, 2011

Great Weekend

I guess I neglected to mention it, but the solo show I did on Friday went pretty well. No real technical problems to speak of, despite the fact that earlier in the day it had looked like pretty much everything that could possibly go wrong was going to. I'd recorded drum and keyboard parts and put them on my iPod to play along with on electric guitar, which was supposed to be a way of making myself feel like I wasn't alone up there. But of course that adds a whole new set of potential glitches, such as the iPod skipping the first couple of beats of each song for some ridiculous reason. Then my "amp" (actually just a reel-to-reel tape recorder from the sixties) wouldn't turn on, the mixes didn't sound right, I couldn't seem to sing loud enough without a microphone, etc., etc. It was looking bleak for awhile there during the day, but everything worked out just fine at the coffee shop. The audience was small but kind, Matt played a great set, and the whole evening was just overall pleasant.

Then, as you know, there was the record fair the next day. And Saturday night I went to a "Northern Soul Dance Night" at this weird little club that's a Chinese restaurant in the daytime. A bunch of scooter-loving, mod-clothing-wearing guys (including my old friend Henri) who know their stuff when it comes to 60's soul and British culture spun records, while about 15 faces had a great time shaking a slim-fit-trousered leg. Fun!

And yesterday was the second Sunday of the softball season. Another great day for it, and we won again, which means we haven't lost a game yet. This without having our usual stellar shortstop, Vinny, who's out with an accidentally messed-up eye and impending fatherhood.

Finally, birthday wishes to our sweet li'l nephew Bennett, who turns six today. You'll be getting a little something in the mail soon, pending decent postal service.

2 comments:

Pen & Rix Place said...

YOU HAVE AN IPOD????????????

Andrew said...

Yeah... ?