Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yaw Unbelievabow!

I went to another doctor last night to get a second opinion about my throat, which still hadn't stopped hurting and was now on day eleven. He took one look at it and cheerfully declared it to be strep. I.e. I have to take penicillin or it won't go away. I.EEEEEE..... "Ignore it," is about the worst medical advice anyone could give, and therefore wins its speaker the EMF prize for this month. But now I know what it is and what to do about it, so I'm realtively happy.

I got some great mail this week: yesterday a letter from my friend Jenny (we're deliberately reviving the ancient communication format; turns out Canada Post will still deliver these things) and today a pile of CDs that I ordered from an awesome record store in San Francisco. I'm listening to one now by a Swedish band called Tape, and it's just as good as I'd hoped it would be. There's no record store in Wolfville, but it's pretty satisfying to walk home from the post office with a package of brand new weird music.

This evening I went to see a movie called Young At Heart. I had bought six movie tickets in advance at the local rep theatre, not realizing that they were only valid for a season, and tonight's selection was my last chance to use my remaining ticket. I knew the film was a documentary about a choir of old people singing rock tunes, and wasn't expecting too much. Well, of course it turned out to be just great. An honest and heartwarming look at some real interesting, very old people, being taught rock music by a nice, much younger guy, in a sort of reverse-School-of-Rock scenario. You should see it. But be warned that you will cry multiple time. Seriously.

- Andrew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And,

Glad to hear you finally have a diagnosis and cure for that throat. I can't believe someone told you to ignore stre throat! Hope you feel better before your holidays. I think I'd enjoy that movie. I'll look for it and bring a box of Kleenx.

Mum