Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Well, It's Public Knowledge Now

I guess I can let the cat out of the bag, for anyone who hasn't heard yet. We're moving to Wolfville! I got a job at Acadia University, being their one-man graphic design department. I start August 18, which means I have less than three weeks to figure out where I'm going to live and move my stuff there, and one of those weeks will be spent in Montreal, seeing Radiohead and visiting my grandparents, so there's a certain amount of hecticity involved in this big life change. But it's also super exciting.

I interviewed for the job early last week, on another week-long vacation. Little did I know going down there that I was the only person being considered. My friend and old coworker, Hannah, has until now been the designer, and she recommended me as a replacement. She's leaving to become an RCMP officer. I owe her big time for that one. We took the shuttle bus down the night before and stayed overnight at her apartment (and met her stinky blind cat). Then I met my boss-to-be first thing in the morning and found out that the job was a near certainty.

We spent the rest of the day wandering around Wolfville, imagining it as our home. Felt pretty good. Especially when we checked out Acadia's botanical gardens. They're quite spectacular. We saw a ring-necked pheasant, which we took to be a good omen.

Official word came via email Wednesday, while we were in PEI visiting our friends Jennifer and Tom at their cottage. You may remember that we stayed with them around this time last year. This year was every bit as pleasant and relaxing.




MacKenzie is growing into quite a clever and charming girl, and Lennox remains a clever and charming cat.




(This last photo was actually taken the day after we got back. No one photographed the photographer in PEI.)

Anyway, I accepted and then wasn't able to give notice to my boss until Monday of this week, meaning that my two weeks includes a week of vacation time. I guess it would have anyway, come to think of it. I sweated and fretted about it all throughout the night before, and then wasn't able to get him alone until 3:00 in the afternoon. I thought I might explode from nervous anticipation. But he was incredibly nice about the whole thing. Today it was announced to all my coworkers, most of whom will be sorry to see me go.

It'll be hard to leave all our great friends behind. But it is only an hour outside of Halifax, and Alison's working on getting her driver's license. We may even have to get a car. Alison's going to keep working at her government job here a couple of days a week, and I know I'll want to come in somewhat frequently for band rehearsals and shows and softball games and the like. I am, though, quite looking forward to having more time alone, without a lot of other people's projects hovering around and tempting me not to work on my own.

- Andrew

2 comments:

EJ said...

Congratulations And! I am so excited for you guys. What a fun change in your life. I can't wait to hear all about the move and see what kind of place you find to live in there. Sorry I've been negligent with the blogging. I'm back into running, and a very good book series. That's been taking up most of my evenings, and the daytime is pretty full with the kids. But we're alive and well and enjoying the summer. I'm back to work August 20th (just 2 days a week). So I'm trying to cram in all the fun things I wanted to do with the kids in the last couple of weeks. Although really, I'll still have tonnes of time to do fun stuff. I'm hoping to see you guys on Sunday in Montreal.

Anonymous said...

Andrew that is so awesome. I am so happy for you. Talk with you guys both soon.
Joan