Monday, August 13, 2007

R & Art & R

I did sleep on the shuttle a little, using my own chest as a pillow. Not very comfortable. But we made it over to the island and had just about the most pleasant time you can imagine with regular Our Blogloo reader Jennifer and her awesome family. Their cottage is beautiful, the island is beautiful, the sand and waves and seaweed and caves, kites and fun and books and sun, mussels and cherries, ice cream and berries, outdoor showers and thunder showers and meteor showers and unfilled hours all added up to the backdrop for a dream from which we never wanted to wake up. Plus they're the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

Unfortunately, Alison took all the pictures, so she's not in any of them. But I swear she was there too.












Then there was a short week of work in there (boring), and then on Friday evening we went out to Mahone Bay to see a gallery show of Johanna's most recent paintings. It was a great show. Impressive work and I believe she sold four pieces. Again, you'll have to take my word for it that Mister Snuffaluppagus, I mean Alison, was also there.





Afterwards we went to a restaurant and chatted over some food and beers with Johanna's friend Ian and his friend Jen (a different one). Even though the conversation unfortunately got onto The God Delusion and I stubbornly wouldn't let it go, it was still a really nice evening.

And on Sunday my softball team played an exciting game — under a blazing and relentless sun — whose score remained tied right up to the end. Going into extra innings, we confidently shut down the other team, thanks in part to my patented end-of-the-game-rhythm-changeup pitching style, which never fails to confuse. Then we proceeded to hit as well as we had all day. I got on base with a short bloop straight toward the other team's infuriatingly infallible centre fielder, who, I'd noticed, had not turned around yet when the pitcher began his windup. It was one of the most satisfying moments of the day for me when he almost but didn't quite make it to the ball. A few more equally impressive at-bats from my teammates, and I easily scored the winning run. Great ending to a nice weekend. And Alison was there too.

- Andrew

No comments: