Sunday, August 26, 2007

And It's Not Even Labour Day Yet.

The cottage was just perfect, as expected.



Our friends Cliff and Angie very generously drove us out to Green Bay, even though they couldn't hang around for very long once we got there. We did get to spend some time in the sun on the nearby beaches with them, which was really nice and also unexpected as it had been raining all day up until then.

As they left that evening (possibly in the wrong direction, possibly due to my poor navigational skills — I'm afraid to find out), another friend of ours, Jill, showed up with her friend Tiina (sic) and we had a nice dinner together and checked out the musty old books filling two walls of the place. Pretty good selection, I must say. And a good hiding spot for the mouse that was living there. At least, we chose to think of it as one mouse.

Anyway, those two stayed over as there was plenty of extra room, and we spent the next morning wandering around the beaches along Green Bay Road with them. After they left, Ali and I felt briefly at a loss for what to do. But the weather was fantastic all week long, and we soon got more seriously down to the business of relaxing. Together we got through five books, had lots of fires, ate whenever and whatever we felt like, played cards, did yoga, went for long hikes and bike rides along previously unexplored trails, swam in the ocean, napped, took lots of pictures (many more to be posted soon), chatted with animals both wild and domestic, played frisbee and badminton, listened to a lot of crappy radio, and generally appreciated life. I think I already said this, but it bears repeating that it was perfect. I'll fill you in on more details when I post more pictures.


But in the meantime, and more importantly, my sister Erika and her husband Mike just took delivery of what is from all available evidence a beautiful baby girl. She's named Charlotte Mary and she arrived via express stork Friday morning. Congratulations, guys! First daughter, second child for them, second niece and fifth in the niece/nephew category for us. Why is there no metacategory for nieces and nephews? I'd like to be able to say, "I have five nerfs" (or whatever). Seems odd. Think I'll write a letter to my local newspaper editor.

- Andrew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great time on your holiday. The baby sketch is cute but I don't think it looks like Charlotte too much. Talk with you soon.

Mum