Monday, April 17, 2006

This blogging business is hard work.

Let me say first off that I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update this thing. In Neil Postman's words, we've been amusing ourselves to death somewhat. The final season of Six Feet Under is well worth the price of admission, for anyone interested in such things. Keep a healthy supply of eco-friendly tissues on hand, though. Infinite Jest is so far hilariously entertaining, if/because extremely wordy. And the latest album about which I have to insist "Buy! Buy! Buy!" is Congotronics 2, a compilation of contemporary bands from the outskirts of Kinshasa, Congo who are similar only in that they all play amplified thumb pianos, among other kooky and not-so-kooky instruments, through homemade sound systems that produce a crazy distortion to whose rhythm it is impossible not to dance. Maybe I'll put up a sample next time.

I guess I've also been kind of avoiding the home computer because there's been some work I didn't want to do and felt like if I sat down with Mr. MacIntosh I would have to get it done before I could do anything else. But I finally finished it off today at work, so now I can do whatever the heck I like. The project was writing explicit instructions for Meg, my friend and coworker, on how to produce the used car newspaper insert I work on for two days every two weeks. It was sort of an excruciating, drawn-out effort that made me realize I was crazy if I ever thought I wanted to pursue technical writing as a career. However, it's done now, which means Meg will be able to do the work next week, which means I can GO TO CUBA!!!

That's right — we've booked a trip to Holguin, where we stay at an all-inclusive resort for a week, and we leave this Friday. I can't really believe we're going and probably won't until the plane has landed. We've never really taken a "real" vacation together, so it's super duper exciting. There's a lot to do before we leave, though. This evening, for instance, we had to lie in tanning beds for eight minutes so we won't get a Canadian-style burn on our first day there and spend the rest of the week in agony. We also wanted to get our taxes done and sent off before leaving, but as I haven't done mine for 10 years now (shhhhh), I tried to take them to H&R Block, who said they would charge me about $700 to do them for me, so it looks like I'll be taking them with me for some rainy day fun. I'm not sure whether it was H or R I was talking to, but she also told me impatiently that I wouldn't be able to stay there and watch her while she did them. I don't really understand why she thought I would have any desire to do that. Wouldn't I just do them myself if having them done professionally involved my observation? Anyway, that's what is happening now, so I suppose it's a null point.

Let's see... what else?

Tim was down for a visit last week and we got to see him a few times, including at a softball practice, in the smokiest bar that has ever existed in a not-purely-for-torture capacity, and at various unanticipated times and locations around the city, which last was probably the nicest as it made us feel like he still lives here.

Speaking of softball, did I mention before that I'm going to coach some little kids on softball technique with a friend of mine this summer? Maybe I did; I can't remember and am too tired to check. But I'm really looking forward to it, anyway.

Continuing to speak of softball, Meg has agreed to try playing on our team this year, which is great news because a) she is awesome and b) we need another girl or two. Weekly practices will begin this coming Sunday, but of course I won't be here. I wonder if I should bring my glove to Cuba? Baseball's pretty big there, I gather.

I helped my friend Charles work on his new recording studio yesterday. It was the first time I'd been down there, and it's coming along really nicely. Looks like it's going to be a great spot — much bigger than the Mullet was and it's actually being built according to a design. I can't wait to see — and hear — it up and running.

We're probably going to be moving into that new place on Maynard at the beginning of June, so we're starting to look at getting rid of stuff. If we could reduce the quantity of our belongings by about half, I'd be happy. Anyone have any use for some moth-eaten sweaters and a box of used ice cream buckets? Danny, I'm looking at you.

I found some yoga poses designed specifically for my twisted old spine, and they seem to make my back feel pretty good. I recently had x-rays done and found that my scoliosis is even weirder than I'd thought, as my spine not only bends one way and then back the other, but it also twists around its own axis all the way down. Basically, it looks like a modern roller coaster. But so maybe these poses, and possibly a trip to a chiropractor, will help me not to be a hunchback by age 50.

There's probably still more things I have to tell you, but if so they'll just have to wait until next time. Whew.

- Andrew

3 comments:

EJ said...

I'm so excited for your trip! Have a fantastic time and take lots of pictures. Did you know you can buy software to help with your taxes? I don't know if you can use it for past years or not though, and it makes it trickier to get the work done on the beach. Mike and I now have a wonderful basement that's great for storing junk, but I still have no need for moth-eaten sweaters. Sorry. We've got enough crap of our own. Hmmm...what else? I keep meaning to ask you about that cottage that you guys rented with Mom and Dad a few years back. Where is it? Do you know what the cottages were called? Do you remember the price?

Andrew said...

Hey, Er. The cottages are in Green Bay, which is part of Petite Riviere, which is on the south shore maybe 15 or 20 miles past Bridgewater. They're called the MacLeod Cottages, and the people who own them are the MacIntoshes. www.macleodcottages.ca. I seem to remember that they're very reasonable, like $400 for a week? Rustic as hell, but very liveable and that area is one of my favourites in the province. Why, did you want to share one sometime? I'd totally be up for that.

I've heard about that tax software, but I don't really think I need it. Mine are very straightforward — it's just a matter of getting the forms for all the years I've missed.

How about some Christmas lights and a bag of rubber bands?

- Andrew

EJ said...

Mike and I are thinking about flying to NS in the summer for a week with our friends Davio and Julia and renting a cottage. We want somewhere that is close enough to Halifax to take day trips in - because of course we would love to see you.

Do you need a box of Don Cherry's Rock'em Sock'em videos? I think there are thirteen videos in total, and I doubt if Mike would notice that they're missing. My rubber band drawer is all full, but thanks for the offer.

Eri.