Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Come On


You know what's not really a very funny thing to say to a stranger on an elevator when you've both just come out of the cold wind and are waiting for your respective floors to arrive? "Where's that global warming we're supposed to be getting?"

I'm sorry, random government lady on the fifth floor, if this makes me a humourless sourpuss, but global warming is not a curious little bit of local weather you and I can make funny small talk about until it has come and gone. It's a worldwide catastrophe that's going to wipe out our entire species if we don't fix it very soon.

Where is it? It's everywhere! Hence, the "global" part. And we're not "supposed to be getting" it; it has already started. We're in the middle of it. The reason it's such a problem is that people in positions of authority aren't taking it seriously enough to do something about it.

Where's that mass extinction we're supposed to be getting? Because this lady is bothering me. How's that for a conversation starter?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, I'm reading a book called "The Sixth Extinction" An Unnatural history by Elizabeth Kolbert you might enjoy. I finished Anabel. Enjoyed it a lot.

Andrew said...

Thanks, Mom. I'll check it out. Was just talking yesterday with my therapist about Anabel, which she also loved. She just got back from a stay in Labrador — said it was magical.

Andrew said...

Also, this bit of hope.