Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Humbuggery

"I read somewhere
     just waking up can kill you."

—Elizabeth Ross Taylor

Days are getting shorter and colder. And yet the warm comfort of sleep eludes me. I feel that dark December mood creeping up on me again. I want to spend more and more time indoors, eating rich foods, and less time doing things that will make me feel better, like being active or contemplative or creative. Better stay away from the stores as much as possible, with their ugly Christmas displays and saccharine music...

And it also probably wasn't a great idea to watch this super bummer of a Bergman melodrama about a mother coming to visit her two estranged daughters, one of whom is severely handicapped and the other of whom hates her guts and spends a whole night telling her why. Ingrid Bergman as the mother really shines, though, in her final role (and the only film she ever made with Ingmar Bergman). Still, it's not exactly Elf, if you're looking to tame the "holiday season" blues.



Tomorrow I will try to find a way to visit some nature. A walk in the woods, or a half hour staring at the ocean. That's usually the most reliable way of staring down "Black Pete."

Meanwhile, I had a really great band practice tonight with Psychic Fair, which always offers some relief. We're playing a show Saturday night at the Marquee, opening for Dog Day, who are releasing a new album. I believe I already mentioned that in another post, but it's worth repeating. Bring your friends!

No comments: