Monday, November 18, 2013

More Yoko


Wow, Yoko Ono is really everywhere right now. I've been working on a piece about her for the March issue, as I mentioned the other day, and suddenly she keeps popping up all over the place. I guess she just turned 80, is partly why. (My mom says 80 is the new 50, and it looks like she may be right.)

I've started reading a book about her by the author of the upcoming piece, Lisa Carver, called Reaching Out with No Hands: Reconsidering Yoko Ono. Rod, one of the editors at work, loaned it to me. So far, it's just the author finding different ways to say how fabulous her heroine is, yet it's managing to hold my interest somehow.

Rod also directed me to a current Spin magazine interview with Yoko today. Pretty admirable stuff. I found this last passage especially inspirational:
Each time I create a work, I get so much energy and awareness I grow rapidly. People think it is the other way around — that I have energy and therefore things get created with that energy. No. I create, and therefore, I get the energy. I want to address this to artists who are feeling a bit low. Just start creating something, without consulting your critical eyes, ears, and brain. Keep creating even if you are laughed at. Good luck and I love you with all my heart!
And then there's this new video, mentioned by reminiscethis in the comments a few posts ago:



Hilarious and sweet. I just might have to buy her new album, though it could never be as good as this:

1 comment:

Alison said...

So awesome!
I will take her advice!
Also, for more energy, drink Yoko Cocoa. :)