Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day

After Black History Month, I'm glad we now get to celebrate the history of pride and suffering that is the Irish identity. It's only fitting, as they were the ones used mainly as slaves by the British until the latter stumbled on the idea that bringing shiploads of Africans in for that purpose would mean their slaves would speak a multitude of mutually incomprehensible languages, and hence couldn't organize against their owners as easily as the pesky Erinese had. Once that idea had caught on, it wasn't long before the strategy was taken up by the Americas and other colonies, freeing the Irish to live a life of peace and liberty in their abject poverty.

In solidarity with this brave and indomitable people, may I present my rendition of this traditional Irish ballad? Sorry about the sound distortion. I got a little too passionate at times.


I'll also, of course, be drinking and subsequently vomiting gallons of green beer like everyone else.

4 comments:

John and Sharon said...

oh, crying with laughter. I only recognised it at 41 seconds in.

Pen & Rix Place said...

Thanks for the Irish ditty. I don't think I know it. I was surprised you said yu'd be having green beer. I didn't think you drank even regular colour beer.
You'd be surprised how many Irish ancester you have, whom I have discovered doing ancestry. Many came from Cork to Montreal and other areas of Quebec and Ontario and became well known citizens to their areas.

Andrew said...

Well, you might know a different version... I didn't actually drink any beer. But I did step in some green vomit!

Hey, Mom, have you ever read any W. G. Sebald? I've been rereading The Emigrants, and I think you might particularly enjoy that one. He's very interested in history and tracing people's (often tragic) lives. There's so much fascinating musing about events that are either completely factual or drawn from facts that it's barely recognizable as fiction. But a sense of character begins to emerge from what he chooses to focus on and his interpretations.

Pen & Rix Place said...

Hey And,
I don't think I have read Sebald. I will have a look as it sounds very interesting. I have been reading Erik Larson who writes I guess you would call it historical nonfiction and has references in the back. I am just reading Thunderstruck - about Marconi and a man called Crippen, a murderer and how their lives cross. Takes place in England, Cape Cod and Nova Scotia.I have read 3 other Larson books and really enjoy them. By the way, I have traced ancestry through Poppa's mother's family back to my 24th Great Grandfather William DeBradford - Born 1085!!!