Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rock Talk

Lest I be accused of disappearing off the face of the Web, here's some footage from a Record Store Day show I played yesterday. Somebody thoughtfully recorded the whole in-store set and put it on YouTube in three installments.



That's my new bass backing up Matthew Grimson's songwriting genius there. I've just recently been enlisted in this band, and this was the first show I'd played with them. You can kind of tell. I think it generally went pretty well, though, and was a lot of fun. Taz, the record store, gave us each a $50 gift card for playing, which was a complete and welcome surprise. I picked up Thurston Moore's first solo album and the new Shins record, both on vinyl.

The Lodge played a poorly attended but well-received show the weekend before at Gus' Pub, which turned out to be our last. Mike's got too many other projects on the go to continue being a puppet/clown shouting our ridiculous lyrics while we hide behind him. Fair enough — especially since those other projects are both more lucrative and more creatively fulfilling for him. But Charles and Cliff and I will carry on in some, likely instrumental, fashion. Might just take us awhile to regroup. Meanwhile, there are some unfinished Lodge recordings that we still plan on releasing eventually.

And Guts, a.k.a. Kristina and me, continues to develop its sound weekly. We have about seven or eight songs that are slowly getting hammered into some kind of presentable shape. I want it to sound really good before we unleash it on the world. Watch for a public unveiling in, oh, I'd say a couple of months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go. Good to see you And. Granny Gwen is here for a few days. I will show her the blog.