Monday, November 09, 2009

Sherman Hines Update

Forgot to mention that a few days ago I got a copy of a letter sent to Sherman Hines from the Nova Scotia Labour Standards Division, requesting he contact them regarding my complaint, viz. that he owes me ca. three hundred bucks. The next day I heard from the woman who had sent the letter. She told me that Sherman called her and very angrily told her that he has no intention of paying me a cent. He didn't deny that I had worked the hours claimed, but said that the work I did was insubstantial. She told him that whether that is true or not he's still required by law to pay me, and explained the process that this would now go through. There's some kind of tribunal where he can appeal the Division's judgment, which he told her fine he will do and she told him that's his right although he doesn't have a leg to stand on, and then eventually, after like four to six months, they'll be able to take the money directly from his bank account if it comes to that. He said that he will refrain from paying me for as long as he legally can.

I don't really care how long I have to wait for the money, as it's just going to be a nice windfall whenever it does appear, at this point. I'm glad to learn, however, that I won't have to go to court or incur any costs to get it, something I was concerned about.

So I was quite uplifted by this phone call, and finding the whole affair rather amusing, when the best part of all came. The woman told me that Sherman had requested copies of the documentation I had sent with my complaint, a request which is within the employer's rights in these cases, though not usually exercised. So she mailed him a copy. I imagine he's probably received it by now. There are details in there about my reasons for leaving the job that I thought pertinent to my case, but that I didn't think necessary or appropriate to tell Sherman at the time that I quit — details such as the poor quality of his design aesthetics, the creepiness of his two rococo "trophy" (i.e. dead animal parts) rooms, and the frightening extent of his controlling and paranoid character. Oh well. I guess that latter is not exactly going to be remedied by this series of events, but as long as I'm getting paid, I'm a happy man.

7 comments:

reminiscethis said...

God love you, Andrew. You fight the good fight. Did you choose the very appropriate RWEmerson quote listed by this post today? "A man is usually more careful of his money than he is of his principles."

Jono said...

Andrew, this is fabulous. Thank you for such a detailed and humorous update. I'm going to link to as soon as I can.

Andrew said...

Ha ha! No, I didn't, Jenny. They come up randomly but serendipitously.

Thanks, Jono. I hope how Lawrence White bows turns out to be quickly and with little resistance.

St. Louis Family said...

Andrew, that's great! I LOVE that he will see your description of why you left even if you hadn't intended him to!!
Dana

Mysteriousnessest said...

Not sure if you'll see this, but in 1991/92 (not sure which) my father was driving down the highway in the valley with me in the car, and the car ahead of him came to a dead stop, for no reason, no traffic in the other lane, nothing. Too late for my father to see, however, and he rammed in to the back of the car. I wasn't even a year old yet and nearly died.
Can you guess who was driving the car that stopped? The best part, HE is still trying to sue my father for damages!

Mysteriousnessest said...

Not sure if you'll see this, but in 1991/92 (not sure which) my father was driving down the highway in the valley with me in the car, and the car ahead of him came to a dead stop, for no reason, no traffic in the other lane, nothing. Too late for my father to see, however, and he rammed in to the back of the car. I wasn't even a year old yet and nearly died.
Can you guess who was driving the car that stopped? The best part, HE is still trying to sue my father for damages!

Andrew said...

Wow, Mina, that's very interesting. Thanks for the near-tragic story. I haven't actually been writing on this blog for some time now and haven't thought about Sherman in years. But weirdly, I just had a nightmare about him the other night after seeing one of his books of photography at a flea market. He must be clawing his way back into the zeitgeist!