Saturday, November 07, 2009

666

I have a spot between my eyebrows that gets a crease in it, and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Actually, it's more of a dent than a crease. And red. And when I say it "gets a crease" it would now be more accurate to just say it has a crease, because over the past year or so it has become a permanent feature of my facial expression. I know that it means I'm subtly knitting my eyebrows together, but I can't seem to figure out how to properly relax my face so that it goes away.

Meditating used to do it, and it was the only thing that would do it. In fact, the dent used to be a sure sign that it was time for me to meditate, because I had unconsciously become unconscious, letting my mind push me around while believing that the reverse relationship held. I came to think of the dent as the mark of the beast — my false self taking me over and fooling me into thinking it was my true self. I also thought of it sometimes as my third eye closing because I was no longer in tune with the present moment and my infinite connections to the rest of the universe. Not that I really believe in the third eye, which is supposed to be the centre of clairvoyant perception, but the symbolism always seemed kind of interesting.

So it's a little upsetting to see it there all the time. I try to accept it, since I know you can't fight resistance by resisting it. And meditating does still help somewhat. But the thing is, it's actually kind of painful. I'm going around pretty much all the time now with a mild stress headache. I've been looking on the internet, trying to figure out what can be done about this condition, but all I find is vanity-based stuff about preventing wrinkles and looking younger. I honestly don't care about that, although it does worry me that I might appear perpetually angry to others. What's that quote about every man eventually getting the face he deserves? I think that's supposed to be by the age of fifty. I don't know if I believe that anyway — seems a little mean. What about disfigured people? Or Gary Coleman?

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or personal knowledge about what can be done? Right now it's burning and pounding. I feel like a sense of humour is probably an important ingredient in the remedy, so I keep repeating my favourite Groucho Marx joke in my head, like a mantra: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. No luck, but at least I'm having fun imagining what the life cycle of a time fly might look like, and how museum guards might keep them away from the arrowhead collections.

6 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

It shouldn't hurt...I would check with your doctor about that part, but otherwise it does just sound like a wrinkle I'm sorry to say. My wrinkles are around my eyes and I'm a little more willing to accept those since they look like smile lines (and they don't hurt)!
Maybe the hurting part is psychological since you're trying so hard to avoid this wrinkle!
Dana

Andrew said...

Yeah, I guess I should never have used the word 'crease' because it's really more somewhere between a soft indentation and a bruise. It's reddish in colour and sometimes sprouts a little pimple. A headache radiates from it in a ring that goes all the way around my head, whose strength at any point is directly proportionate to that point's proximity to the spot under consideration.

Anonymous said...

Go see your doctor! Sometimes humour and meditation just don't do it.

Your mum

marilen gerber said...

Andrww :I am adding to the others advice As a practicing psychologist I would ask my clients to see their physician first to rule out any thing before treating it with stress management methods : ie mindfulness mediation , relaxation response, etc When all else has failed( after of course ruling out other medical conditions) some of my clients have found that acupuncture works I advise clients to try what ever works for them as long as it isn't unhealthy, illegal or immoral!! (My own many years of living advice!!) Your Aunt Lucie* ( aka Marien) * As in Psychiatric Help 5 cents!

Andrew said...

Funny, I'm generally of the opposite school: resort to the superficial and scattershot methodology that is modern medicine only after all profound self-analysis and -diagnosis has failed. However, I may now be at that point. Thanks, M & M.

Andrew said...

No offense, by the way. I'm only talking about physicians. Psychiatrists can be forgiven for resorting to intuitive trial and error, given the nebulous nature of their medium.