Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP, MJ (& FF)

I kind of can't believe Michael Jackson has died, even though it felt a little like he'd died a long time ago. That poor miserable guy. I hope he found some kind of peace with himself before the end. Not to be morbid or cynical, but in addition to feeling bad I also wonder what will happen to the publishing rights to all those Lennon-McCartney songs. Will they just be turned over to Sony in toto?

Meanwhile, unrelated icon of my youth Farrah Fawcett gets completely upstaged. As I didn't know either of these people personally and didn't have any strong emotional connection to their work, neither of their deaths should really affect me any more than any anonymous death I might hear about in the news. But of course they do, because they both figure largely in the shared, ridiculous history of my generation. Condolences to their families, friends, and fans.

2 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

I was floored when I heard he had died although you're right, it felt as though he had died a long time ago. Unlike you however, I did have strong emotional connections to his work and posters of him in my room! His upstaging of Farrah Fawcett's death reminds me of my wedding day when Mother Teresa's death was upstaged by Lady Diana's...don't know if there would be any other situation where you could compare Mother Teresa to Farah Fawcett!!

Andrew said...

Each was briefly married to Lee Majors until he refused to stop running to the dinner table in slow motion and/or referring to God as "Oscar Goldman."