Saturday, June 13, 2009

El to the Oh to the Dee Gee Ee

OK, I'm into this one-subject-per-post idea. This one's about The Lodge. There have been a couple of shows in the past little while — one an all-ages show at the Mic Mac Canoe Club in Dartmouth and the other at the Bus Stop Theatre in Halifax for adults only. They were both pretty loud and fairly scrappy. Neither as much fun for me as the previous show we'd played at the Foggy Goggle, where the crowd was super into it and five separate people mentioned Joy Division in talking to me about my bass playing afterward. That one was the official CD release show, although it wasn't really advertised as such so we only actually sold two CDs. I heard someone accidentally bought one of the other bands' CDs, thinking it was ours — that's how disorganized our marketing was.

But now we've got a show coming up this Friday with The True Love Rules. That's the band Dave Marsh has put together to perform his own material. He's the drummer from the Joel Plaskett Emergency, and one of the drummers from the Super Friendz. His songs are fantastic. Should be a real good show, with lots of people our own age whom we actually know in attendance.

I put some The Lodge CDs in a local book store for sale today. We'll see if anyone buys any. They probably wouldn't know anything about the band out here in Wolfville, although anyone who works with me might make the connection. People also might be inclined to pick it up if they've read the latest Exclaim! magazine. Maybe I'll just randomly distribute some of those around town, lying on tables and benches open to the relevant page. Somebody's gotta give these hippy singer/songwriter/amplified-flappy-stringed-acoustic-guitar-strummers a run for their money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool Andrew. I was glad to read the review in Exclaim as it filled me in a bit on what you're up to. I'm glad you're still enjoying the music scene. Sounds like they really think you guys have something there. Wish I could hear you in person.
Mum