Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Small Town Survivor

Got through my first night and day alone in Wolfville all right. I just ate a delicious gelato waffle cone, and now I'm sitting on the steps of the main university building, typing on Alison's laptop, because I thought there was free wireless internet everywhere on the Acadia campus. Doesn't seem to be the case, though. So maybe "now" is not exactly the correct word, as it'll be tomorrow by the time I'm able to post this. Oh well, at least I'm getting to see a really spectacular sunset over the marshes, while the full moon comes up on the other side. Why didn't I bring a camera with me?

Last night I slept on an air mattress in the downstairs bedroom of our little split level house. It's one of the only places not floored with freshly lacquered hardwood. The mattress is not entirely uncomfortable, but I left the windows open and the room actually got quite cold overnight. Plus, there's a mourning dove — or is it morning dove — somewhere nearby that coos the same note from 4:00 in the afternoon until about 11:00 at night, and from 4:00 in the morning until I leave at 8:15. Come to think of it, maybe he keeps it up all day, for all I know.

Other than that guy, though, the neighbourhood is very peaceful. So far, anyway. I guess we won't see the full effect of the student invasion for another week or two. Right now it's kind of weird how few people are around. It'll take me awhile to get used to not being on display as I wander around in a public space.

My first day of work went pretty well, although there wasn't a lot to do. After my two hour initiation session (two kinds of health insurance, free use of the athletic facilities, and any classes I want to take for half price!), I spent a long time deciding where stuff would go in my new office. The power outlet situation's a little sketchy, but I think I've got it figured out. Then my boss was in meetings all day, and Hannah didn't show up to help acquaint me with her working/filing methods, so I just spent the afternoon cleaning up her computer to make it run faster. She had something like 1,500 fonts installed, most of which were duplicated or conflicting with each other.

I'm sorry this is so boring. I have no one here to tell everything to so I can find out which parts are the good ones. Ali's back in Halifax, packing up what's left to be packed up. I sure will be glad when she and Buster and all our stuff are here too.

Oh! And we saw Alex Colville when Krista drove me down here yesterday. He was walking a weird little dog across the street from our house. Looked kind of grumpy. Alex, that is. The dog looked perfectly happy, albeit, as I said, weird. And little. I guess his wife, Rhoda, is not doing very well (I'll assume you know which one I'm talking about this time), so that might explain it. Maybe we'll end up in one of his paintings, staring sadly out the kitchen window at him. Alex.

All the outdoor lights on campus just came on, so I guess that means it's time to head home.

- Andrew

6 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

Thanks for the great post! I've been wondering how you're doing. I was on facebook & got to have a "chat" with Ali so I knew how she was doing and that you were away. Sounds like you're going to love Wolfville!
Dana

Alison said...

Shoot, yeah, I wish you had the little camera with you!
Dang.

Anonymous said...

You sound kind of lonely. Don't worry, once Ali is there you'll feel better.
Hope things keep going oK and that you adjust to your new environment.

Do you think you and I could manage to sing "Danny Boy " at Poppa's Memorial? I'm not sure I could do it. Any other suggestions?

Love, Mum

Anonymous said...

I still have your drill... I'll bring it with me on the move day.

Sounds like you're having fun. I read it out loud to Tanya and we laughed about Hannah's fonts, hahaha.

Alison said...

I keep waking up every day at exactly 10 to 7. Weird, eh? (Andrew took our alarm clock with him.) And I was so worried I'd oversleep without you here to bring me coffee!

Speedbag said...

Enjoy the quiet while you can Andrew. I had friend who went up to Acadia right out of high school and if the kids today party like we did...oh boy!

Good luck!
Sean