Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Grammys Redux

The red carpet: boring.

John Mayer: ick.

The Police: boring.

Justin Timberlake filming himself dancing: unintentionally funny.

Bob Wills/Don Henley tribute: weird and boring.

Dixie Chicks winning all the awards: super boring.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers: unbelievably, mega-stupendously boring.

BUT:

Gnarls Barkley: stirring.

Corinne Bailey Rae: cute and pleasantly understated.

And then this woman keeping the memory of James Brown alive by pulling him out of his still fresh grave by the throat and slapping him hard and repeatedly with his own best song, not out of disrespect, mind you, because simultaneously exposing the militant feminism inherent in said song, in case anyone suspected it of being misogynistic, which would be fair, given its source, but no, instead heaping admiration and respect on the honouree by showing that she GETS him and by singing, nay CHANNELING the song with even more passion, anger, and yes BALLS than even he did: unforgettable.

Am I the only one who was totally blown away by this performance? I am a man, after all, "lost in the wilderness"... Please tell me my judgment has not been compromised by some false eyelashes and a pair of tight white pants.

- Andrew

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. She does have an amazing voice. Close your eyes when she sings and you will not picture her. If I hadn't seen the video, I would have pictured a black woman singing.

Mum

St. Louis Family said...

This was one of the only parts of the Grammys I actually saw and when it was over I said to Jason, "that was so much more than just singing". I watched it right after that lame tribute to Don Henley which made it even better!
Dana

St. Louis Family said...

I have to agree with you, yes tight white pants helped, but she blew me away - Jason