Saturday, December 16, 2006

Those Crazy Kids

I played another "show" with Al Tuck on Wednesday night, this one at Tribeca and drumless. I thought it would be a nice, intimate evening of folk like the old days when Al played there every Wednesday. However, as we arrived with our scrappy gear, a young woman named "Krista D" (pictured) started coming in with her full rock band plus supporting band and entourage, all done up in some kind of goth/saucy schoolgirl outfit, and setting up mannequin stage props and a large wooden rack displaying the CDs she had for sale. I guess they accidentally double-booked the night. The guy who'd booked Al couldn't find the email confirming the date, and Al said he would take fifty bucks to walk. But the guy thought we should at least play a little for fifty bucks, so we went up and did three songs while the other bands got set up. It was a little humiliating, since some friends of mine had come specifically to see us play, but I have to admit that I was a little relieved too, as I'd just gotten some pretty bad news that night about a good friend's health, and wasn't as focused as I could be.



And speaking of good friends, Matt and Laura are in town from Toronto on a surprise extra long Christmas break, so we're going to get lots of quality hanging out time in with them. They were downtown last night with Laura's sister and a few of her friends, so I got to meet up with them after my staff Christmas dinner. Unfortunately the dinner had given Ali a stomachache, so I sent her home in a cab before heading over to Tribeca again to yell back and forth over the very loud music with a somewhat drunken and very high-spirited M & L. It was really fun, but I ended up staying out until 4:00 am! I never do that anymore. Maybe I felt like competing a little with the obnoxiously young crowd that wreaked minor havoc on, and then closed the bar. I think mostly, though, I was just having a really good time and didn't want it to end. Yoga this morning was exactly what I needed after that.

- Andrew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, And. I was pretty stressed out today but I knew I wanted to go to my conditioning plus class and I'm glad I did. There were I million other things to do but many of them got done and the others didn't really matter that much. Tomorrow I go to my yoga class. Can't wait to see you guys.
Love,
mum

Anonymous said...

he fellas long time,
hope everything goes good for the holidays and i just scanned down a bit through some posts.. seems you are doing great, great, and the photos are looking great as always..
about the jingle,, you should right more jingles and perform them between songs when you play live, like a commercial you know? it would be super funny.. ok merry almost xmas
danny