Monday, May 22, 2006

But Mostly Laughing

Softball was really fun. We had batting/fielding practice and played some scrub for three and a half hours. Meg took a grounder hard in the opposite shin from the one on which she already had a bruise, and got someone out at second base. I made a spectacular double play from left field.

This morning we did the laundry over brunch and ran into Ian and Kate, the couple who are going to take our little mini-house when we move. Ian works at the coffee shop I patronize twice daily. He mentioned that they're having some kind of multi-performer show on Thursday which is a celebration of International Towel Day, a day for remembering Douglas Adams and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and asked if I would be interested in contributing some entertainment. So I thought I might try to learn that weird Eagles tune that was used as the theme music on the television and, I believe, the radio show as well. I can probably figure out how to capture the psychedelic aspect of it, but the bizarre twist of its banjo-driven foundation may be harder to replicate.




As we were folding our clothes, an older man was talking to the woman who runs the place. He was bragging about all the movies he's been downloading, and how anyone who pays to go to or rent movies is a sucker. "Yeah, tonight I'm gonna watch the first two seasons of Lost," he was saying, "since I've never seen that, and then tomorrow night I'll sit down to The DaVinci Code. I'm downloading Poseidon while I do my laundry. Yeah, I just burn them directly onto DVD and sit in my own living room with some popcorn and a beer." While he went on to list about fifteen other movies he was going to be watching, I couldn't help wishing we had citizen's arrest in this country. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure whether I was more irritated by his immorality or his boorishness. In any case, we got our laundry folded with record speed (not even spending any time to savour the sock-balling) and ran out of there groaning and laughing.

- Andrew

No comments: