Sunday, January 05, 2014

Talking about Cake



I've been trying for many years to track down this one-woman sketch by Lily Tomlin. It finally showed up in a secondhand record store today, and of course once I knew the title it turned out to have been on YouTube all along.

I heard this piece on the radio, probably around 30 years ago, and have been wanting to hear it again ever since. Lily's parents try to have a normal, if slightly dull, conversation about some cake, and their sullen teenage daughter flips out over their banality. It's weird, but I feel like I know every word of this bit intimately, even though I only ever heard it once. As funny today as when I was a sullen teenager myself.

(I don't know what's with all the extra stuff at the end. Maybe the poster couldn't remember how to take the needle off a record.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i remember that! Didn't remember who did it though. Fun to hear again.