Friday, May 03, 2013

New Life



So... my new job is really great. I'm just finishing up week two, and I have to say I love it thoroughly. The office culture is unlike any other I've ever worked in: respectful, contemplative, compassionate... The organization's list of core values reads like a humanitarian manifesto. It's all about the inherent goodness of people and facing challenges with bravery and open hearts. And they mean it, because that's what the very product they're selling is about.

And the work is interesting, varied, challenging, and rewarding. I'm learning to do a much quieter, subtler type of design that's more about real beauty than attention-demanding, and to do it at a slower, more thoughtful pace than I'm used to. I'm expected to read the articles I'm laying out and to make educated decisions based on my expertise as a designer.

And I share a beautiful office with an admirable mentor, and I have a view of the harbour, and I get full health benefits, and there's an espresso machine as well as a normal drip coffee maker, and no one is allowed to book meetings from 1:00 to 1:20, as that time is set aside for optional meditation every day. Oh yeah, and I get to read books that are submitted for review before they're available in stores. I just brought home There Is No God... and He Is Always with You, an irreverent Zen guy's take on atheism, spirituality, and mysticism that seems completely up my alley and doesn't come out until July 1.

Yes, it's pretty much a perfect job. I'm just sorry I haven't had any time to tell you about it sooner. Still getting used to having to be downtown from nine to five, with about a 40-minute walk in either direction. I've also been finishing off clients' last bits of work when I get home, offering advice to their new designers... Plus, there have been a lot of band practices, recording sessions, and shows lately. But I'm developing a decent schedule, so I promise to be more frequent in my updates. And to stop undercutting my genuine enthusiasm with ridiculous stock photos.

Other things going on around here: The Reference Desk will be putting out a split 7" record soon with a two-piece called Beached Out, two songs per band. Psychic Fair are working on what promise to be some heavily listenable recordings. Alison and I looked at a really nice duplex last night into either side of which we're going to do everything in our power to move with a roommate each. Amber is leaving for Hawaii on Sunday, where she'll stay for a month with her mom and her mom's partner, much to my selfish sadness mixed confusingly with a great deal of happiness for her. And Gobo, the car Alison and I bought almost exactly four years ago, was just declared kaput today at what was supposed to be his routine biannual safety inspection. Apparently there's so much wrong with him, he's not worth rehabilitating. He was a great guy, and took us on many fun trips. Here's a photo Ali took.


So, there you go. Fairly mixed bag, I guess. But mostly I feel like everything in my life is starting to fall into place all at the same time, and I'm just trying to be neither too cocky nor too distrustful about it.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Wow, I used to blog!

Also, I'm so happy about your new job. :) It's so good for you.

I hope the duplex thing works out. Really really.

night!

Alison said...

p.s. that girl's hair is insane. On the right.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everything is good, except for poor Gobo. I think it was the same age as mine was which would make it 17 years old. Pretty good for a car! Wonder if mine is still going. Good luck on the duplex thing. Hope you get it.

I'm having trouble proving I'm not a robot. Those letters are crazy!!! Mum