Thursday, August 13, 2009

Life: Faster than the Speed of Blog

I just can't keep up. We did the Maine trip. It was fabulous. I'll have to show you some pictures sometime.

Then I started my new job working for Sherman Hines. I worked out of his home office for the first two days, taking care of emergency rush work until we could figure out what stuff we needed to take to the new location in Halifax. Then yesterday I quit. Seriously.

It just wasn't the job for me. More production-oriented than I'd imagined, and even the design I would be able to do would all be based on previously done stuff that I really didn't like the looks of. Plus the files were all in a giant, systemless mess, the software was all out of date, the computer I was using was very slow, and I realized that I just don't like photo correction and cataloguing work enough to do it all day, every day. There was some other stuff too, involving work-style clashes and taxidermy. But mostly it just felt like a huge step backwards all of a sudden.

So I had a little breakdown and called Alison saying, "I think I've made a HUGE mistake!" and she very kindly said, "You don't have to do any job that's going to make you feel like this. You can just take on freelance work like you wanted to do before you got the Acadia job and before you got this job." So that's what I'm doing. Crazy, hey? This adventure just keeps on getting more adventurous.

I've already got a few jobs lined up, and more contacts promising me work, so I think I can do this. I spent yesterday wandering around Halifax, spreading the word, and then this morning emailing and phoning people. I suddenly feel less ambivalently excited about the move and more just plain happy. Everything about Halifax was inspiring to me yesterday, and I feel just as good about the decision today.

Of course, it would be nice to have some guaranteed income for awhile, especially as we seem to have built up a fairly heavy debt over the past year. But what good is debt if you can't multiply it cavalierly with no idea how or even whether it will ever get paid off? This is my new adult attitude I'm working on. What do you think? I may even get a cell phone.

And now, back to taping up cardboard boxes and stuffing them full of crap. We pick up the U-Haul truck tomorrow evening and move everything Saturday. Wish us luck! (Gulp.)

2 comments:

St. Louis Family said...

Oh, And, that's wonderful. The move to Halifax seems like a very positive thing in itself and your freelance work sounds like something you've been wanting to get to but needed this kind of a push to get started...sounds like the timing is perfect! I'm exactly opposite right now. My freelance work just isn't paying the bills and I've just taken a parttime job!

Pen & Rix Place said...

Way to go! One seldom sees such wisdom in one so young. Sherman Hines was a going concern when we were in Halifax, so he must be rather well along and, perhaps, somewhat set in his ways (filing systems, computers, software ...). The differing work styles I can understand. The taxidermy is a bit confusing.

Good luck with the freelance work. That can be rather difficult, but you have many contacts in Halifax. Work them all and make more: network, network, network. And have fun.

If debt becomes a cronic concern, welcome to the Rat Race!

DoD