Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Empty Potpourri

I just got home from recording some keyboard tracks on a Buck 65 collaboration record that's in the works. Do people still say "record" anymore? A young guy at work always makes fun of me for it. Pretty soon I'll be mis-stressing new technology, I guess. "Now, what's this blue TOOTH I heard someone talking about?" Actually, I really don't know what bluetooth is. Very embarassing.

Anyway, I'm sorry the delay between posts has been getting pretty long. There really is nothing going on worth telling you about. I noticed that my calendar at work had nothing written on it from last week. I tried to remember what I actually did and seriously, NOTHING came to mind. It was kind of scary. I guess there was a pretty good rock show in there, and of course a lot of work. I've been feeling quite tired at work lately and sleeping more than I should. Probably need some exercise. We had the first yoga class of our last 10-class session with Michi last night, and it really kicked our butts. In a good way, though. I felt much better today than I have in awhile, and actually enjoyed some of my work. I don't know what we're going to do when Michi leaves for Japan in June. I predict a lot of tears.

Alison's been getting to do some photo shoots at the glub glub club. That's what we call the government. Government = gub'mint = gub = glub glub club, if you must know the derivation. Last week she was responsible for taking all the pictures of a bunch of rare 18th century coins they recently pulled out of a shipwreck off Nova Scotia, and tomorrow she'll be covering an all-day conference. It's pretty great practice for her, especially shooting people in a room full of strangers all day.

Right now she's teaching her class, and I'll be leaving to walk her home soon. Before then, I have to devote some time to figuring out a band name for this project Charles and I have started up. That's really what I've been spending every spare moment on. It drives Ali crazy, when she's not caught up in the act herself. Both of us seem to be all right at coming up with joke names, but terrible at real ones. Some of the funnier ones have been Ironic Butterfly, The Whom, How They Get Rope, Weird Beard, and Post Modern Band Name. Really, those are the funnier ones. It's been hellish for awhile.

Is it true that the Thompson Twins — the band from the eighties, that is; not the characters in Tintin comics — shaved their eyebrows? Alison swears that the white man and woman had no eyebrows, which explains their weird, unemotional appearance. If it is true, then it really seems like maybe they didn't actually want the black guy in the band, but couldn't think of a way to tell him without seeming racist. So they called the band The Thompson Twins, hoping he'd take the hint, and when he continued to stick around, oblivious, they took the radical step of epilating their foreheads, thus drawing a veritable Venn diagram circle around themselves. I'm sure I'm just making this up, but it's kind of an intriguing theory.

- Andrew

1 comment:

The Nemesing One said...

Not sure about the eyebrow thing. I was too busy trying to emulate the "tail" hairstyle the white guy had going on. When I was 15 I thought it was freak'n awesome! I agree totally on the black guy thing. Him and the guy from the Eurythmics and Oats from Hall & Oats should have gotten together to do an album.